The decision to outsource your HIM functions represents a major operational decision – but one that can bring great value to healthcare organizations of all sizes. To do it, you’ll need to invest time and resources into the arrangement, so it’s important to be thoughtful throughout the process. So, when it comes to outsourcing your Health Information Management (HIM) as well as HIM coding functions, how do you know it’s time to consider finding a partner to support your team? There are a lot of reasons for making this critical decision – we’ll highlight a few of the most common to help you evaluate whether or not outsourcing is right for you.
Top 5 Reasons You Might Need an HIM Partner
• Your key performance indicators could use some help.
- Outsourcing is an incredible opportunity key performance indicators could use some help. Outsourcing is an incredible opportunity to implement best practices without investing in the staff, training/education and technology needed to do it all. Maybe your team could use some help with HIM coding, clinical documentation improvement (CDI), or compliance audits – partnering with an outsourcing expert can help you move the needle on certain key performance indicators by putting a concerted effort toward improving specific areas of your Health Information Management (HIM) process.
Tip: When working with a new outsourced partner, be sure you are on the same page about what you’re trying to achieve – which should be an ongoing dialogue. Working together, establish realistic targets and ensure you’re tracking to achieve them, month after month.
• The technology you have doesn’t provide you the visibility you need into your business, performance, etc. Real-time availability of meaningful data and reporting are critical in today’s complex world of health information management. Understanding what you’re doing well, as well as your greatest opportunities for improvement are critical to your ability to succeed in a dynamic industry like healthcare. If you don’t have access to this data, most outsourcing Health Information Management experts offer proprietary technology, dashboards and customized reporting tools that can help you track and monitor your performance.
Tip: Get a close look at your vendor’s data analytics/reporting tools before you start your relationship. Make sure you can develop customized reports and that all your team members have access to the information they need, when they need it.
• You need to cut costs – without compromising quality. You can’t compromise quality when it comes to Health Information Management (HIM) including HIM coding, but you can lower your organizational costs. Working with an outsourced partner can not only reduce your organization’s investments in staff and training, but also can help improve your revenue cycle through greater efficiency. Experienced HIM vendors can also provide a fresh perspective on your performance, areas of opportunity and can offer solutions that have helped similar organizations improve their KPIs.
Tip: Find a vendor that has proven expertise in helping organizations like yours improve their performance. Ask around in professional circles to make sure any potential vendor has the reputation and culture that will allow you to establish a long-term, trusted partnership.
• You have a great team, but they are struggling to keep up. Outsourcing doesn’t mean replacing your current team – in most cases, it’s just the opposite. The right vendor partner can complement the effort of your existing team – allowing your organization to scale easily when work starts piling up. When done right, providing this extra level of support can help improve morale by letting HIM leaders and staff know you value their time and need for work/life balance.
Tip: When making the decision to outsource Health Information Management as well as HIM coding functions, work closely with your current HIM leadership team throughout the evaluation and implementation phase. Encourage open communication with staff and help support leaders throughout this time of transition.
Moving Forward With HIM Outsourcing
Finding a great Health Information Management outsourcing partner is a great way to enhance your Health Information Management (HIM) processes, but it certainly takes time and effort so it’s not a process you want to go through every few years. Find a long-term partner that can meet your needs, help you achieve your goals, and deliver the greatest value.
Considering outsourcing your HIM processes? GeBBS Healthcare Solutions offers a wide range of outsourced Health Information Management functions, HIM coding and RCM functions. Our industry knowledge and vast experience enables us to provide innovative, customizable solutions to meet your business needs. To learn more about our technology enabled solutions, REQUEST FOR CONSULTATION.